Puppy-Proofing Your Home – Poisonous Plants

Congratulations! You have found your dream puppy. Before that fluffy bundle of fur bounces through your front door, there are some preparations to do.

Puppies are full of energy; they are curious and love to explore. This makes them fun and lovely, but can also lead them to harmful situations. Before you bring your puppy home, make sure you survey your home and remove potential dangers to provide a safe environment for the new member of your family. Puppy-proofing your home is similar to preparing your home for a toddler.

Poisonous Plants

Some plants are poisonous and dangerous if your pup ingests them. A few common plants that you need to be aware of include:

Azalea: Eating just a few leaves of the azalea plant can be dangerous to your dog. It can cause diarrhea and vomiting.

Daffodils: Ingesting either the plant or the bulb can result in abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Lily of the Valley: These can cause severe cardiac problems, seizure, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Autumn Crocus: The autumn crocus is severely toxic and can cause respiratory failure, liver and kidney problems, and gastrointestinal bleeding.

Cyclamen: If ingested, this plant can be fatal to your dog.

Oleander: The leaves and flowers of this garden shrub are toxic when ingested.

Dieffenbachia: This plant can cause nausea and vomiting.

Tulips: It?s the tulip bulbs that are toxic, so make sure your dog doesn?t go digging for them in your garden.

These are just a few of the plants that are a real danger to your dog. Check with your veterinarian or Pet Poison Control for a complete list.